Birth Control Cannot Fix Your Period
At least half of the women I’ve spoken with over the years have been prescribed hormonal birth control in order to manage their symptoms and regulate their cycles. This is frustrating because BIRTH CONTROL CANNOT FIX YOUR PERIOD.
I am not a doctor, and this may likely contradict the medical advise you have received from your doctor, so I’d like to invite you to exercise your right of informed consent. Make sure that you know how the pill or any other form of hormonal birth control actually works, that you understand the benefits and risks, and then decide if you agree with your doctor’s treatment plan.
I’ve compiled a list of resources and educational articles from practitioners who have made this their life’s work in order to provide more information.
“Why birth control can never fix hormones” by Dr. Lara Briden
“How Birth Control Switches Off Hormones and Why That Matters” by Dr. Lara Briden
- “Birth control switches off ovulation and so switches off estrogen and progesterone. It induces a kind of ‘chemical menopause’ and then replaces back contraceptive drugs as a substandard type of ‘hormone replacement.'”
“The Pill: Are the Risks Too Bitter to Swallow?” by Dr. Aviva Romm
- “There’s a reason nearly 64% discontinue using the pill due to side effects, and it can increase your risk of serious health problems. I want you to at least know the risks, warning signs – and information on alternatives.”
“Birth Control – What Doctors Don’t Say About Birth Control Effects” by Dr. Jolene Brighten
- “Giving birth control to treat symptoms is not good medicine.”
“6 Things I Wish I Understood Years Ago About Hormonal Birth Control” by Ellie Thomas
- “Hormonal birth control can actually be masking a true imbalance internally that could be preventing a woman from being able to ovulate and menstruate.”
“5 Things Every Woman Needs to Know About Her Period” on FloLiving
- “Birth control pills aren’t fixing your problems — in fact, they’re probably making things worse.”
“The Un-doctored Truth About Birth Control With Mike Gaskins” on the Period Party Podcast
“Your Period, The Pill and Nutritional Fixes With Nicole Jardim” on the Insatiable Podcast